We founded Rocky Talkie with the mission to give adventurers the confidence to push their limits in the backcountry through improved communication. At the same time, our small team is deeply passionate about protecting our wild places and preserving them for the generations to come. This has been the driving force behind our plans to grow our company in a sustainable way.
Rocky Talkie is committed to achieving a net-zero impact for our own footprint, in addition to influencing our supply chain partners towards sustainable practices. The following are our current sustainability initiatives and considerations.
Rocky Talkie is Climate Neutral Certified
We are proud to announce that Rocky Talkie is a Climate Neutral Certified Brand! Our team has established a partnership with Climate Neutral, a globally recognized nonprofit organization working to eliminate carbon emissions. With their help, we have measured and offset all of our brand’s annual cradle-to-customer emissions, and we are taking immediate action on our reduction plans.Measure: We measured our 2022 carbon footprint at 1,629 tonnes. To arrive at this number, we looked at all of the brand-level emissions created from making and delivering our products including our supply chain emissions, business travel, and utility bills.
- We will audit the energy efficiency of our controlled operations to gain a greater understanding of our business's energy impact. This initiative will set us on track to reduce energy at our offices and controlled facilities.
- Rocky Talkie plans to audit our electronic waste management strategy with the goal to create an internal recycling program for electronic waste by Q4 of 2024. Our work here will be incredibly impactful to help cut down on our operational waste.
- Mineralization: CarbonCure's carbon dioxide removal (CDR) technology provides a permanent, verifiable, and scalable carbon reduction option for the concrete industry by injecting CO₂ into cement. This process creates incredibly-strong low-carbon concrete. We are excited to support breakthrough carbon reduction projects like CarbonCure.
- Wind Energy: The India Gujarat State Wind Farm project focuses on generating clean electricity in a country currently dominated by fossil fuels. In addition to bringing more renewable wind energy to the region, this project also generates local jobs and a higher air quality in the area.
- Improved Forest Management: The UPM Blandin Improved Forest Management project improves forest management practices across 187,867 acres in northern Minnesota. These practices include maintaining natural forest diversity, reducing harvest impacts, and forest management aligned with ecological regimes.
- Methane Gas Capture: The Fulton County Landfill Gas Capture project in New York captures Methane which is then sold to a landfill gas to energy (LFGTE) plant and converted into energy. This project significantly reduces GHG emissions by capturing methane, lowers groundwater methane levels, and helps avoid methane migration.
We at Rocky Talkie are excited to join hundreds of other companies in taking responsibility for our carbon emissions. Carbon credits are just one way to account and offset our own impact, and we are keenly aware and disappointed by the lack of accreditation/regulation in the carbon credit industry. Our team, with the help of Climate Neutral’s Standard, is proud to be supporting responsible and verified choices in carbon offsets.
Moving forward our products will bear the Climate Neutral Certified label. This label represents the trusted, independent Standard for climate neutrality and empowers consumers to find brands that are leading on immediate climate action. To learn more about Climate Neutral and other brands committed to climate action, visit climateneutral.org.
Product Durability and Commitment to QualityDurability is one of our core design principles and we strive to develop products that will endure for many years of backcountry adventures. We aim to break the mold of cheap disposable walkie talkies that are commonly sold throughout our industry. To this end, we are committed to selecting high-quality, long-lasting components. Our radios use lithium-ion batteries that were designed to be removable and can be replaced if necessary, without the need to replace the entire device. Our goal is to shift the industry away from low-quality radios that need to be frequently replaced, helping to cut down on electronic waste, and provide our customers with reliable gear.
Sustainable Packaging Initiative
In 2020 we reduced the size of our radio box by 50%, minimizing packaging waste and increasing our shipping efficiency. We also moved away from protective styrofoam inserts by engineering a fully recyclable cardboard insert that still securely holds the radio in place and protects it while in transit.
Your Rocky Talkie box is made from completely recycled materials and can be recycled when it is no longer needed. Additionally, we recently launched our Rocky Talkie Swag Collection and have kept the packaging to a simple compostable tie.
This is just the beginning and we’re excited you are joining us on our journey to a more sustainable future!